What is It?
The Speedy Boarding system combines novel computer vision and communications technology to detect how empty (or full) a train carriage happens to be, in real-time. It autonomously feeds this information to boarding passengers, so they know where it is best to board when their train arrives at the platform.
What It Does
- Uses the saloon CCTV cameras to determine a “busyness” metric for each carriage door.
- Relays this information to the next platform.
- Displays the busyness (fullness) at each point on the platform, using a simple and intuitive red/amber/green system.
- Uses existing camera infrastructure.
- Processes in real time, witth low latency on a computer the size of a credit card (Raspberry Pi for example.)
- An optimised PTI experience
- Reduced stress from long boarding and dwell times
- A better chance of getting a seat
- The ability to choose a quieter train, based on the information provided
- Assists the driver to maintain on-time services by reducing passenger boarding dwell time, further helping to reduce safety related incidents.
Train and Station Operators
- Improved safety of passengers through a reduction in PTI FWI incidents.
- Faster passenger boarding at the PTI can aid station operators in running a safer and quicker service.
- (Side effect) A more evenly distributed passenger base, as more passengers have the information to opt for a quieter train.
LED strip on the platform edge, showing green as the carriage is empty.